There’s a call for horror writers from! In its third year, The Killer Shorts Horror Short Screenplay Competition will begin accepting submissions in July 2021.
Known worldwide as the KILLER SHORTS HORROR SHORT SCREENPLAY COMPETITION, it showcases and connects international horror short screenwriters with managers, producers, and filmmakers. Scripts will be judged by a distinguished panel of industry experts.
Over $5,000 in prizes will be available, including Final Draft 12 screenwriting software, Shudder Streaming Subscriptions, Coverfly career consulting, a membership to Stan Winston’s School of Creative Arts, and a custom-designed trophy in the shape of a typewriter skull, carefully hand-crafted by Tyler Green.
Your horror short screenplays will be read by agents, managers, and producers. Shudder and Final Draft sponsor the event. Send your submission today!
Judges on the Jury for 2021 include:
- Xavier Burgin – Director (Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror)
- Gigi Saul Guerrero – Director (Culture Shock, The Purge, El Gigante)
- Joe Bob Briggs – Film Critic, Performer
- Scott Stoops – Literary Manager – Good Fear Content
- Daniel Seco – Literary Manager – Empirical Evidence
- Julian Terry – Filmmaker (Whisper, The Nurse, They Hear It)
- Chelsea Lupkin – Senior Programmer at Short of the Week, Filmmaker (Flagged, Lucy’s Tale)
- Glenn Cockburn – Literary Manager – Meridian Artists
- John Zaozirny – Literary Manager / Producer – Bellevue Productions
- Barbara Crampton – Actress (You’re Next, From Beyond, Chopping Mall, Re-Animator)
- Jenn Wexler – Filmmaker (The Ranger, ABC’s of Death 2, Slumber Party)
- Scott Carr – Literary Manager – Management SGC
- Sophie Carroll – Programming Manager – ALTER
- Jason Tamasco – Producer – Bad Idea Films
- Matthew Dartnell – Literary Manager – Writ Large
- Zack Zucker – Literary Manager / Producer – Bellevue Productions
Sponsors of the Killer Shorts Horror Short Screenplay Competition include Shudder, Final Draft, Rue Morgue, Stan Winston’s School of Character Arts, Script Butcher, Coverfly, FilmFreeway, Screenwriters Network, ISA, Slasher TV, 1313 Mockingbird Lane Toys & Collectibles, Ghoulish Gary, Horror Pack, Qwerkytoys, Waxwork Records, and Fright Rags.
The Top 3 Winners Receive:
ONE Page Horror Short Category
New addition to the contest.
An affordable ‘1 Page Horror Short’ category is new to the competition this year, with a $5 entry fee locked in. In addition to the highly coveted trophy, prizes include a 1 year subscription to Stan Winston School, $500 cash, and a 1 year ISAConnect Membership.
“We recognize that shorter scripts have a slight disadvantage when it comes to impressing literary managers,” said Alison Parker, Contest Director, “So we are thrilled to introduce the new ‘1 Page Category’, with prizes geared towards helping the winner produce a horror short film.”
Before winning Killer Shorts, I had no idea how much buzz a short script could create. I’ve since met with a couple managers and I’m working with two producers on getting my short made!
Alessandra Jara Del Castillo
Season 2 First Place Winner
How to Enter
So you have a screenplay? lets submit it!
The competition category has an entry fee of $20 for ‘Early Bird’ entries received before September 3, 2021, which will close on December 17, 2021.
For more information, visit: KillerShortsContest.com and follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Founder and Lead Developer for Horror Facts independent horror magazine.
Husband, Sailor and Independent Writer